The Discussion Tool in eLearn allows you to create bulletin board style discussion areas where students can communicate with you and with each other. You can create three types of discussions with this tool: threaded, blog, and journal discussions.
Students who have frequent contact with instructors in online courses report greater satisfaction with their learning experience. Discussions are a great way to meet this need.
Here are a few tips for facilitating online discussions:
- Use a positive tone
- Use student names in your subject lines
- Let students know how often you will log into the class
- Generally speaking, logging in for short time periods more frequently fosters stronger discussions than logging in for long time periods less frequently
- Aim for horizontal movement in discussion posts (students responding to each other and to your follow up questions instead of only responding to the question at the top of the page)
- Use the HTML Creator to format your writing (You can even embed images and video this way!)
Below are some support options to choose from including tutorials, help manuals, training opportunities and links to our self support knowledgebase.
Learn how to post original threads and response posts in eLearn discussions.
You can read about using the Discussion Tool in the eLearn Communicating with Students manual.