SafeAssign is Blackboard’s plagiarism prevention and detection software. As a Blackboard Building Block, it works within our current eLearn system. Instructors may use this software in any class using an eLearn shell.
How does SafeAssign work?
Students and/or instructors submit documents directly in their eLearn courses. SafeAssign software checks the work against content on the Internet, in library databases, and against other student work in local and global databases. In a short period of time (usually less than a minute), a report for each paper is generated, clearly marking any matching content and identifying the source of the match. If the match is not properly cited, then the student knows revisions will be necessary.
SafeAssign is more than a detection tool; it is a powerful teaching tool. Students can submit draft assignments to check their own work before submitting papers to be graded. SafeAssign reports clearly mark potential problem areas, giving students a powerful tool to help them learn to quote and paraphrase sources properly.
Why use SafeAssign?
- To demonstrate our commitment to academic integrity
- To support information literacy objectives
- To provide a tool that aids instructors with checking for plagiarism
- Most importantly, to offer students an easy-to-use tool that helps them learn to quote and paraphrase successfully
What preparations are necessary?
- Training: Building SafeAssignments and interpreting SafeAssign reports will require faculty training.
- Rebuilding Assignments: To use SafeAssign in an already-developed class, instructors will need to rebuild assignments as SafeAssignments.
- Legal Notifications: Instructors will need to inform students that plagiarism software will be used in the class, including a mandatory statement in the course syllabus.