The timeliness and quality of instructors’ grading feedback was rated as a top priority for students, according to surveys of Chemeketa Online students. The feedback provided to students not only helps them track their progress in a class, but can also help form their understanding of course concepts.
The eLearn system provides several possibilities for grading and providing feedback on student work:
- Assignment/In-Line Grading tool
- Email and Messages tools
Some best practices for grading student work in online classes are . . .
- Let students know how long it will take to grade and return assignments
- Provide detailed rubrics
- Include gradable items in your classes early and often
- Assign points to everything you want students to do (students don’t often opt for “optional” learning activities)
- Use “Track Changes” in Word, or format your comments in a different font color or weight
- Use “macro” programs (such as Shortkeys Lite) to make the grading process more efficient and to make your feedback more detailed
- Consider using audio or video tools as an additional feedback method
Check the Tech Hub Workshops Schedule to see if there are any available trainings offered.